Things I like…
- The book combines mystery and romance. It follows the tale of Gracie Hall, a heiress who hires a professional bodyguard, John Smith, when a string of influential women in the city are found butchered to death.
- The story is beautifully precise. It doesn’t meander from the plot line to the point that your eyes hurt from unnecessarily long and arduous paragraphs.
- It deals with loss of a loved one, facing your fears, overbearing mothers and fighting for your rightful place.
- It combines the right amount of wit and dry humour, feel-good romance, a little bit of awkwardness and a lot of suspense.
- I could never have guessed the ending. For me, that is the mark of a good mystery novel!
… And the one thing I dislike
I found John’s character to be soooo cliché. It was a little disappointing to find such a wonderful story to have the same old male lead with the same old problems. Eh.
⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐